The "Regional Referral Center for Parkinson's Disease" began operating in 1987 within the then Neurology Clinic Institute at the University of Pisa.
Recognized by the Tuscan Regional Authority as a referral center in 1997, today it is part of the Neurology Unit - Integrated Care Medical Specialties Department of the Pisa University Hospital/Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine of the University of Pisa.
The Pisa University Hospital has approximately 2,000 beds divided over two locations, the historic facility of Santa Chiara facing Piazza dei Miracoli, where the Parkinson's Center is located, and the new facility at Cisanello which is home to the Emergency Room and the inpatient wards for neurology, neurosurgery, and rehabilitation.
From its beginnings, the Center has been dedicated to providing care for patients with Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders and to clinical research: in particular, the development of new diagnostic methods (MRI, PET and SPECT scans, and neurobiology) and new drugs: about 50 GCP clinical trials have been conducted since 1986. Over the course of the years, approximately 10,000 patients have been examined and about 1,200 patients are currently in ongoing follow-up care at the Center. The Center maintains numerous research and collaborative relationships in Italy and abroad, and is part of the European Network for Multiple System Atrophy and Huntington's Chorea. Prof. Roberto Ceravolo, Site Coordinator, is part of the Imaging Committee of the Movement Disorders Society.
Center Director and Staff
The center's director is Prof. Ubaldo Bonuccelli, Professor of Neurology at the University of Pisa, where he earned his undergraduate degree and completed his training in Neurology at the School of Medicine. His research interests and those of the group focus on the various clinical and diagnostic aspects (imaging, neurobiology) of movement disorders (Parkinson's and Parkinsonisms, tremors, choreas, dystonias), and on new pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments (DBS, rehabilitation).
- Prof.Roberto Ceravolo, MD - Neurologist
- Dr.ssa Daniela Frosini, MD - Neurologist
- Dr.ssa Valentina Nicoletti, MD - Neurologist
- Dr.Filippo Baldacci, MD - Neurologist
- Dr.ssa Elisa Unti, MD - Neurologist
- Dr.Giovanni Palermo, MD - Junior Resident Doctor
- Dr.ssa Sonia Mazzucchi, MD - Junior Resident Doctor
- Dr.ssa Gloria Tognoni, MD - Neurologist specializing in Neuropsychology (Director of the Clinical Neuropsychology Laboratory)
- Dr.ssa Pierangela Riani, Trial Nurse
- Sig.ra Stefania Guerrazzi, Administrative Assistant
Services available at the Center:
- Clinical assessment and patient management (diagnosis, treatment, and support)
- Neuropsychological evaluation
- Neurophysiological evaluation (nerve conduction velocity, electromyography, evoked potentials, electroencephalography)
- Physical Therapy
- Treatment with botulinum toxin
- Patient management for Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) operations (in cooperation with the Neurosurgery Unit of the Pisa University Hospital)
- Patient management for DuoDopa(TM) infusion by means of PEG-J insertion (in cooperation with the Gastroenterology Unit - Pisa University Hospital)
- Genetic Consultation (in cooperation with the Clinical Genetics Unit - Pisa University Hospital)
Additional services (within the hospital)
- Neuroradiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Clinical Psychology Consultation
- VSpeech pathology and swallowing function assessment and treatment
- Gastroenterological Evaluation
- Rehabilitation (in-patient and out-patient)
For more information
Centro per la Malattia di Parkinson
AOU Pisa,Ospedale Santa Chiara Edificio 13 - Piano 1
Via Roma 67 ,56126 Pisa
Tel: 050-993544 / 050-992443