In recent years, the Center has adopted an all-inclusive treatment model for people with Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders along with their relatives, using a multidisciplinary approach and continuity of care. The Department is composed of a Neurology Unit (15 beds) and a Neurorehabilitation Unit (45 beds).
Each year, over 700 patients with Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders are admitted to the Center and over 3,000 are treated on an outpatient basis. Although its primary work has always been providing care to those with the illness and their caregivers, the Center's activity has also developed along clinical and experimental research lines in cooperation with renowned centers specializing in movement disorders both in Italy and abroad.
The Center places special attention on training activities with students and professionals from various degree programs in and outside of Italy (Physicians, Physical Therapists, Speech Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Neuropsychologists, Professional Nurses) as well as with relatives and caregivers, during hospitalization, in the community, and in the home.
Center Director and Staff
The Center's director is Dr. Daniele Volpe. He has worked with movement disorders for over twenty years, in particular with all-inclusive, multidisciplinary models of care with a focus on continuity of care. His research interests center around innovative methods in the treatment of axial impairments in Parkinson's Disease, alternative/complementary methods, and rehabilitation of other movement disorders (dystonias, Huntington's disease, ataxias).
- Dr. Daniele Volpe, MD – Geriatrician-Physiatrist
- Dr. Giampietro Nordera, MD – Neurologist
- Dr. Manuela Pilleri, MD – Neurologist
- Dr. Daria Roccatagliata, MD – Neurologist
- Dr. Cristina Beretta, MD – Physiatrist
- Dr. Alessandra Pastorio, MD – Physiatrist
- Dr. Mariangela Sambini, MD – Physiatrist
- Dr. Leila Bakdounes, MD – Physiatrist (Study Coordinator for the Parkinson Outcome Project)
- Antonio Rizzetto, FT (Coordinator of Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, and Speech Pathologists)
- Head Nurses: Davide Perpenti, Katia Caicchiolo (Department of Rehabilitation), Dusco Kitic (Neurology)
- Alice Gaspartotto – Social Worker
Services available at the Center for Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders:
- Clinical assessment and treatment management
- Physiatric evaluation and development of multidisciplinary, customized rehabilitation plans
- Evaluation and rehabilitative treatment of motor and non-motor symptoms, in particular of axial impairment in Parkinson's disease
- Provision of dance therapy, Nordic walking, and other social programs
- Neuropsychological evaluation and potential cognitive stimulation
- Psychiatric evaluation with potential treatment
- Speech pathology assessment and treatment of speech and swallowing impairment
- Occupational therapy evaluation and customized occupational therapy programs
- Clinical Psychology Consultation
- Consultations for planning care at home
- Baropodometric and stabilometric evaluation
- Evaluation and treatment of oxidative stress in degenerative neurological disease
- Treatment with botulinum toxin
- Neurophysiological evaluation (EMG, EEG)
- Selection and management of patients for Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) operations in cooperation with the NCH Unit of the San Bortolo Municipal Hospital of Vicenza
- Selection and management of patients for treatment with DuoDopa(TM) infusion by means of PEG-J insertion and other advanced treatments.
For more information
Centro per la M. di Parkinson e i Disrodini del Movimento
Casa di Cura “Villa Margherita”
Via Costacolonna, N°6 - ARCUGNANO, 36057 VICENZA (Italy)
Tel: 0444 997611 / Fax: 0444 322502